Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Barcelona - Part III of Spring Break and last post about it

During the last three days of Spring Break I went to Barcelona, Spain. I think it would have been a lot better if I had been with other people that I knew. I arrived there Thursday afternoon and easily found my way to the hostel. This one was HUGE. They were very professional which was one reason I didn't like it as much. They didn't take the time to know you or find out something about you like all of the other hostels did. However, it was very safe. We had some sort of electric key that you had to use to get into the hostel, into your room, and even into your locker. I had to put a 10 Euro deposit down on it in case I lost it. I didn't lose it! So i got my money back!

That afternoon I didn't know what to do. I was hungry though so I went searching for a grocery store. I walked around a little and then turned back to the hostel and found one nearby. Cooked myself some pasta.

The next morning I woke up. They gave us a free breakfast which was great! One more thing I didn't have to pay for. I headed out toward La Rambla - a street where there are a whole bunch of street performers and vendors. It was Good Friday so many of the stores were closed and there weren't many people out on La Rambla. I made my way to a few Gaudi buildings as well as the Cathedral.

La Sagrada Familia

I headed up to La Sagrada Familia, a cathedral designed by Gaudi. It was started in 1882 and is still under construction. I think it has another 30 years until it's finished but I'm unsure about the exact date. I always wondered what it would be like to live in the middle ages when the big cathedrals took hundreds of years to build. I guess now I know.

Another view of the Sagrada Familia

After that I headed up the Parc Guell, another place designed by Gaudi. He has his own distinct style. It was weird to see it everywhere in Barcelona.

Parc Guel - one of the houses at the entrance

I liked the park but there were WAY TOO MANY tourists! I couldn't take 3 steps without walking in someone's picture.

At the entrance of the park. Look at how many people there are!
I headed back to the hostel after that because I was hungry. I walked most of the way that day but hopped on the metro a few times. I didn't do much that night because I really didn't want to go out after it was dark. Not by myself. That would not be safe. So I hung out in the hostel.

The next morning was Saturday and the stores had opened up again! I went out to the market, which was off of La Rambla. What an interesting place. There were fish vendors, meat vendors, fruit, candy vendors, and some restaurants. I loved being there and seeing how they displayed everything. I loved seeing the huge selection of fruit, candy, and dried nuts/fruit.


Look what Hannaford has done to me. The most interesting thing though was the meat stands. They had heads of animals for sale, as well as pig feet and HUGE tongues. Oh man, so different!

I kept walking up La Rambla and headed for some Gaudi houses.


Those were interesting as well but since I really didn't want to spend money, I didn't go in them. I got tired of walking and headed back down to the hostel for lunch.



I hung out there for the afternoon and then headed for the train station for my 11 hour train ride back to Granada.

The train took off at 9:30 and I was sitting next to some crazy man. He had to be in control the whole time and he couldn't sit still. He kept trying to help me do things even though I could clearly do them, and he was shorter than me. I don't know how he thought he could put my luggage up top on the rack. He snored, he'd wake up and start yelling, and he kept making me put my feet up on the chair even though I was fine the way I was. When we were getting off he thought that someone had stolen his luggage, but of course, it was right where he left it.

I walked back to the hostel and got there within a half hour. But oh wait! It was locked because it was only 9:30! So I walked around Granada for like an hour, found a pastery shop where I got a pastery, and then walked around some more. I was freezing!!!! And looked like a dork with my suitcase. I used an internet cafe for an hour to thaw out, then went to the park for 40 minutes. I walked back at 1 and to my great surprise the dorm was OPEN!!! YAYEE!!!

I wish I had been able to come back to Granada earlier because of Semana Santa, or the Holy week. They prepare for months for the processions. I wish I had pictures of what it looked like but it was amazing. I don't really know how to explain it, but I was able to watch two of them go by my dorm from my balcony, and later Sunday night I saw one pass down the main street. I absolutely love listening to the music that they march to. It's so amazing and the trumpet solos give me goosebumps.

But Semana Santa is over and school has started again. I have a midterm on Thursday. I got one back from my lit class and got a 10/10 on it. Yaye! Oh for a random note - today on my way to school I smelled something that reminded me of Home Depot and I missed Home depot....even though I never liked going there before. But this city is full of smells and sometimes I get surprised at what they remind me of.

That's the end of my trip. Like I said on Sunday, I am SO HAPPY to be back in Granada. I love it here and don't want to leave. Except every day I think of Vermont. I feel like I'm torn between the two and don't know where I want to go

No comments: