Wednesday, March 12, 2008

La Fruta en Espana es....

Maravillosa!! Mmmm Mmmm!!

Today I took a different walk home from classes. I went down Gran Vía and turned down near the cathedral. I was just exploring a little since I never go down that way unless it's at night or on a Sunday. But I couldn't believe my eyes!

There were fruit stands EVERYWHERE! I wanted to stop and buy something at each of them. The fruit here is nothing like in the US. I just couldn't believe how delicious their strawberries looked. They were HUGE and there wasn't a bad one in the batch. One woman had them stacked neatly on top of each other. They must spend so much time each morning setting them up. There was dried fruit everywhere and fruit I had never seen in my life! Aw so amazing. I bought two bananas for my trip and 4 strawberries because they were just that big!



yesterday was my 21st birthday. It was alright. I couldn't go out and celebrate the way you would normally celebrate a 21st birthday because 1) I had a midterm for my literature class at 8:30 this morning and 2) because I don't want to lose what I have for the marathon. So instead of alcohol I had something even better.

Ice Cream!

This picture doesn't do justice

Ben & Jerry's was closed which was so sad. So that meant that I couldn't get the brownie sundae I've been waiting a month for. We walked to the plaza near the cathedral where they sell flowers and bought some ice cream from the heladería I referred to in my previous post. The ice cream, or maybe it was gelato, was seriously a work of art. I have to take a better picture of it because it makes me want to try every flavor. I had a scoop of Roche and a scoop of Kinder egg on my cone and it was oh so yummy!

This weekend I went up to the Albaycin twice in the afternoon. The second night we went exploring and found a new place to watch the sunset. We got there a little late though so the sun was basically down.



We took a different path down from the Albayzin and found a bunch of cool graffiti. I have to say that it doesn't compare to the graffiti that was along the river in Sevilla. That stuff was seriously art.



But today is Wednesday the 12th, which means that tomorrow I leave for my journey. I don't know what else to call it because it's going to be quite a trip. I was going to fly into Barcelona thinking that I would be near people I know, however I soon discovered that Ryan Air, the airline I'm taking, flies to airports far away from the cities they tell you. So the first night I'll be in Girona, not sure what's there, but I'll be there. Friday afternoon I take off for Rome. On Sunday I'll run the marathon. I honestly have no idea how that is going to go. The most I got to run during my raining in one day was 19 miles so I'm hoping I'll be OK for the rest of it. I was really stupid when I registered and didn't register with a time, so now I'm afraid I'm starting very far in back of the 14,000+ runners that'll be there. Hopefully I can sneak my way to the zone I want to be in.

I'll be in Rome until March 18th, and from there I'll fly to Brussels, Belgium and take a train to Brugge. I hear that it's really cool there and the people are so nice. I'm so excited to be able to have a Belgium waffle and chocolate of course!

I'll only be there for two days though because I'm going to fly back to Barcelona and spend two days there. On Saturday the 22nd I'm going to take an over night train back to Granada. I would have liked to have come to Granada instead of Barcelona but the Holy week is next week and all of the hostels are booked. And since I'm cheap, I'd rather not have to pay for another night at the hostel and that's why I'll spend the night on a train. That'll save me a hostel room and the hassle of a plane trip.

Yep, so those are my plans, hopefully everything will work out alright. I'll be sure to take pictures and I'll update you all when I get back! Take care! I miss you all!

No comments: